Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

MOTOROLA SB6120 SURFBOARD DOCSIS 3.0 EXTREME BROADBAND CABLE MODEM

Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable ModemMOTOROLA SB6120 SURFBOARD DOCSIS 3.0 EXTREME BROADBAND CABLE MODEMThis review is from: Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem (Electronics)
As I understand it, this is a great modem to use if you have a very expensive, extremely high speed internet package. The reason for this is that it has bonded channels technology that enables you to get more bandwidth (at high speeds) than the Motorola Surfboard 5120 or 5101. So if you have the top of the line internet package, and a very fast computer, and if the cable internet in your area supports DOCSIS 3.0, this thing could work screaming fast for you.

I do not have screaming fast internet, although my computer is pretty bleeding fast. I can't afford that kind of cost for a monthly subscription, because it is a constant and forever drain of a lot of money, and I don't earn that much money where I can do that.

I am located in the Phoenix, Arizona area, and have the $40/month Preferred internet package. My downstream bandwidth varies a lot by the time of day, it ranges between 13Mbps all the way up to about 23Mbps when almost everyone else is in bed sleeping.

My upstream bandwidth is capped real low, as with most consumer internet packages, so it hardly varies at all. It's almost always the same, at about 1Mbps.

If you want an accurate test of your internet bandwidth, do not use the main bandwidth testing sites. Their tests are way too short in duration and give you an extremely exaggerated notion of your top speeds. Go to testmy dot net and use the largest size tests they will allow you to.

Before purchasing this modem from an unnamed extremely large local retailer, I had read lots and lots of reviews saying that this modem dramatically improved the speed of relatively slow connections. I tested my bandwidth both before and after very thoroughly, both upstream and down. In the before part of my tests, I was using a Motorola Surfboard 5120. I saw absolutely no significant difference in either my upstream or downstream speeds after switching in the newer model. The reason this happened is because the 6120 is designed with the bonded channel DOCSIS 3.0 technology that provides you with more bandwidth *in very high speed applications only*.

So, if you have a bleeding fast internet connection, and your internet service provider supports DOCSIS 3.0 in your area, then you could see quite a large improvement in your bandwidth from this modem, according to everything I have read and heard. However, if like me, you cannot afford that speed of connection, you would be much better off saving your money and either keeping your Motorola Surboard 5120 or 5101, or getting one of those instead, since they are less expensive. tO DETAIL CLICK HERE.